Thursday, March 21, 2013

Moving on...

Elder Nelson with Hermana Ostler (a family friend)
They both entered the MTC on February 13.  She is in Chile now.
Well I guess I'll start with the biggest news so far then questions and then if I have time I will go into what's going on here.

I'm going to Peru on Monday the 25th!!! It's the 8:30 Delta to Georgia from SLC and then 3 hours later (roughly) from GA to Lima. I hope that's enough for you to be able to track the flight, I know you love to do that. I walked into class on Friday or Saturday and the intercom came on asking if I could go to the travel office, I was so worried the whole way there. Well not worried just wondering. I wanted to know what the Lord had in store for me. Looks like I wasn’t needed anywhere else other than here in Provo and in Peru. So that's really cool. I've been packing a little and trying to donate as much of my junk food to the rest of the zone as I can while keeping some to pack in my checked baggage like the fruit snacks (college level vitamins). The rest of my district other than the Chileans and Californians will be reassigned tomorrow, or they might stick around here, we really don’t know where.

Supplies are doing just fine, and if anything I was a little over prepared, but better over than under of course. I got the package...and I seriously don't know how to consume that much food in a week...or 4 days!!! Our room has been seriously pigging out a little, but we don't know what else to do with the food that we all have been getting in packages. Before I started trying to work down on the food I had gained about 8 pounds. Yep, I finally did it. I'm hovering around 145 now wahoo!! I guess sitting down for like 8 hours a day can really affect you physically.

I feel ready to leave the MTC. The Spanish seems to be plateauing a little bit, because there’s a slight shortage of native speakers to listen to. RMs can only do so much in the way of an authentic accent, and I know I sound a little Anglicized on my grammar practices. We teach though, and that really is the best practice. Our teachers are great and it’s going to be hard to move on, but necessary. The Lord needs us to sacrifice in order to grow. That means that we leave all of the comforts of home and the way that we have always been comfortable, and we try to explain to others how to find comfort in Christ. We have to learn to be comfortable out here so that we are able to give people the chance to be comfortable in the eternities. That’s a little of what I have been thinking about lately. It's been in several talks.
No hosting for me, because Wednesdays are my Pday. That’s kind of a bummer, I love watching new missionaries come in, it’s the best. We sang "Like 10,000 Legions Marching" on devo on Tuesday and it was specially written for that occasion. They taped it for some in between conference special so look for me then!

The priesthood is only ever for helping other people as best we can and with God's help, we can know their needs. The important thing about dad's blessings were that I always knew I could ask for one if I felt I needed it. I just didn’t take advantage of that often enough is all. It's so important to me that he was always worthy and ready for us growing up.

The donuts from Sister Hare were great, and a thank you card is in order, if I can get it written before I have to leave. If not, make sure she knows how appreciated it was!

For conference I will be in Peru, I just don't know if I will need to grow my Spanish vocabulary or not haha. It will be a stretch either way, always is and I love it so much. I'm eating well, and healthily. I'm just excited to be here. It's the very best time in my life and I’m so grateful for the opportunity to serve. I pray every night and let God know that. I write in my journal every night or the next morning, and I hope I can keep on that for my whole mission and after. It's so important.
Another don't worry...the clock :) that's one that shouldn't be too much of a bother, it only has to be changed three or four times while I'm gone right? (he is referring to the clock above our stairs..that only he could change standing on a very long 2 by 6)

I love you all, and I can't wait to find out where/when I am emailing next week. Keep up the good strong work and don't be afraid to open your mouth. You never know what the Lord will punt out of it.

Love,

Elder Nelson


No comments:

Post a Comment